Instructor FAQ

From EMU FYWP Wiki Commonspace
Revision as of 07:54, October 24, 2013 by Derek Mueller (Talk | contribs) (What if I need help with technology?)

Jump to: navigation, search
What if I need help with technology?
Assistance with classroom technology is available from the College of Arts and Sciences IT department located in Pray Harrold 517. For the Classroom Technology Support Hotline, call 734-218-0921. If you do not reach someone at that number, contact Steve Dotson at 734-487-2538 or 734-323-4436. As a third option, contact Aric Kirkland at 734-487-2948 or 734-516-3888.
How do I schedule a class session with a librarian?
To coordinate a special session with a librarian, visit Halle Library's First-Year Writing Instructor Guide. Related questions should be addressed to Sarah Fabian, First-Year Experience Librarian.
If a student requests it, can I grant an override into my section of ENGL120 or ENGL121?
Our policy is to decline overrides requests into ENGL120 and ENGL121 because the course caps are set with sensitivity to best practices. When declining requests, we suggest you remind students that they may monitor the enrollment system to watch for a seat opening up before the end of the add/drop period or that they may enroll in ENGL120 or ENGL121 as soon as registration opens for the next semester.
How do I schedule a class in a computer lab?
Computer lab access is limited. When possible, consider using the laptop cart. Further inquiries about lab availability should be made in the department office.
What if I need to cancel a class?
When it is necessary to cancel a class meeting, the first step is to email the listservs to check with FYWP colleagues for possible coverage. If no coverage is available, notify the department office and send an email to your students, cc'ing the director and associate director.
How do incompletes work?
For information about incompletes, visit the Office of Records and Registration FAQ. Incompletes may be assigned at an instructor's discretion, provided 1) the student has a passing grade of C or better at the time of the request, 2) the missing work can be made up in a reasonable period of time (no more than one calendar year), and 3) the circumstances precipitating the request involve a sudden and unforeseeable situation that the instructor agrees warrants an incomplete. It is each instructor's responsibility to fulfill the terms agreed upon with the student and to carry out the contract to its completion.
Where do I submit final grades?
The Provost's Office will send a reminder with instructions about posting grades each semester. Final grades are posted in the system.
Where can I get chalk for the chalkboards in PH414-418?
The chalkboards in PH414-418 require Prang Dustless Chalk (N231144, made in France) and Quartet Custodial Erasers (N6807-628). You can find chalk in 612B in a drawer near the utility sink. No boxes are handed out; please limit yourself to a couple pieces at a time. Ask for chalk in the department office.
What should I do when I encounter plagiarism?
Because plagiarism is a complicated issue, we want to be cautious about offering simplistic or over-general advice about its handling. In cases of blatant plagiarism appropriate responses usually involve communicating with the student about the specific concerns and assigning a failing grade on an assignment or in the course. At the instructor's discretion, you may submit an Academic Dishonesty referral to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. Citation errors, poor paraphrasing (patchwriting), and mishandled direct quotations, however, may not constitute plagiarism, and we urge great care to teach these distinctions in the context of specific writing assignments where such patterns appear. For additional resources on plagiarism, see the Plagiarism for Educators Research Guide.
What if I have a conflict, concern, or issue concerning student behavior?
Guidance concerning classroom disruptions are available at For most matters involving conflict, concern, disagreement, or related issues, we generally prefer an approach that begins with open, direct communication. For instance, at times it is helpful to write a concise email that reiterates verbal exchanges or describes a behavior pattern and to cc the director, associate director, and/or department head. If an in-person meeting would be helpful, contact the program director who will assist with coordinating a meeting. If you have concerns about a student's well-being, you are encouraged to submit a Care Report, which will bring any concerns to the attention of a team of qualified professionals who can evaluate the situation and act on the student's behalf.